Introducing, managing and measuring a successful Social Media marketing strategy is a major undertaking that requires astute planning, ongoing curation and a long term view.
Certainly it is very easy to open a free Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn account to name but a few of the most popular social networks but developing and disseminating quality content that informs, enriches and enhances your communities’ lives is where the real work begins and will need to continue for many years.
The clue to successfully formulating, planning, implementing and managing a social media campaign is in the name… it’s social. And that starts with community building which connects conversations, facilitates the exchange of enriching content, develops engagement and builds trust.
Social media is changing the way that we all communicate, consume information, enjoy entertainment, align ourselves with brands and ultimately make buying decisions through the various networks on various devices, with smartphones fast becoming the principle one.
Social media connects a generation of consumers who love to buy but hate to be sold to, especially if sales pitches are crudely dumped right into the middle of their ‘social’ experiences from out of nowhere.
For business, social media is a platform for conversation, for listening, for engagement first and only then will interest, transactions and loyalty potentially follow.
Let’s take a look at a few numbers when it comes to some of the main social networks…
- Facebook and Instagram users are the most engaged. Around 60% of their users sign in every day as opposed to 46% of Twitter users*
- Almost all social networkers use Facebook, in fact over 80% of ‘other’ social network users also use Facebook*
- Pinterest (21%) is now more popular than Twitter (18%) amongst internet users*
- Women are four times more likely to be Pinterest users than men* Instagrammers also use Twitter where there is a 50% crossover between the networks*
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube everyday and over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month
- 74% of people who follow SME’s on Twitter do so to obtain product updates
- Twitter owns 12% of global ecommerce social sharing
- LinkedIn members performed over 5 billion professionally orientated searches on the platform last year
- Pinterest currently has some 70 million users, 80% of which are women
- Google+ is the second most actively used (behind Facebook) social network with 318.4 million active users
- 17% of all online adults use Instagram and 57% of them visit daily spending an average of 257 minutes per month there